About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Large Conifer Trimming

I've been asked to quote 'to trim a couple of conifers a little' for a customer who owns a property with a 100 metre driveway - on inspection the trees are (stunning) each 24ft high and about 8ft diameter. Oh and there are 34 of them! No problem giving them all a light tidy trim, they are in good healthy condition. The only issue is ladders/platforms/cherry pickers etc. What would you guys use? A diesel powered scissor jack platform? I think it would be quicker and safer than 16ft tripod ladders, no excessive reaching and tired arms. Cheers Andy

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would use a chainsaw at the bottom of them I hate conifers

However I would say if your pricing against someone else using a cherry picker however might be ideal may price you out of the job as it wouldnt be cheap to hire

Are you trimming them to that size or reducing them? 

• But they are stunning Nic - and if you remove them then you don't get to trim them again in 6 months mate!!

Just trimming not reducing - i am the first that has been asked to quote so for my safety i will quote for the hire and labour of me and an assistant who will be clearing, blowing and removing waste. You are right, if someone owns a picker and also happens to be a landscaper/gardener, they may be cheaper and could get the work.   It is for the owner of a holiday camp up here and i have also been asked to provide an install 20 trees for areas in between holiday caravans so fingers crossed.

Nic Johnson said:

I would use a chainsaw at the bottom of them I hate conifers

However I would say if your pricing against someone else using a cherry picker however might be ideal may price you out of the job as it wouldnt be cheap to hire

Are you trimming them to that size or reducing them? 

• Do you know how they have been trimmed before or is this the first time?

• PRO
    We can Hire in a Nifty 170 for £125 including Vat and delivery for the day....

My preferred choice would be to hire a tower. This would cost circa £45 for a 8.2m tower, again including vat and delivery.

Towers are more manoeuvrable than cherry pickers and that is why it would be my choice.

Paul's method above is fine but tough on the arm!
  • Cheers John - My arms can take a lot of effort mate after over 20 years of military service but i feel if you can reduce physical output on a job and still remain cost effective, then do it. I don't need to prove myself physically and then do my back in like many gardeners and landscapers do!

Like the harness Stephen - its a good addition to the armoury even if it does look like you are in a dodgem car!

Paul - Agree mate its a good job beautiful landscape and view is stunning. Fancy doing this one myself rather than subbing out to the Monmouthshire legend!

Nick - Thats great advice mate cheers. The tower option seems very reasonable, i would expect a higher cost. If you have any details of a company you would recommend, i'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Nic - They have been cut before, it's not a big cut required purely an aesthetic trim so if i get the job, will use the HS81T as its ideal for this kind of job.

John www.acegardenservices.co.uk said:

I would use a 12 ft maxi Henchman platform with a Stihl combi

plus the extended carbon fibre pole and the hedge cutter attachment

plus the chainsaw attachment.  Twelve foot height, plus the height of the

operative, plus eleven foot heights of the attachments. Easy to move for two

people on even /uneven ground.

If you find it tough on the arm using this equipment, find another occupation.

- Like office filing.....  lol , and please wear gloves in case you cut your fingers. 

• PRO

I use D&S Toolhire which covers High Wycombe to Woking or thereabouts. They are a small firm and probably no use to you as yah are too far away!
    Just in case their details can be seen at www.d-stoolhire.co.uk.

Nick.

Andy Kenney said:

Cheers John - My arms can take a lot of effort mate after over 20 years of military service but i feel if you can reduce physical output on a job and still remain cost effective, then do it. I don't need to prove myself physically and then do my back in like many gardeners and landscapers do!

Like the harness Stephen - its a good addition to the armoury even if it does look like you are in a dodgem car!

Paul - Agree mate its a good job beautiful landscape and view is stunning. Fancy doing this one myself rather than subbing out to the Monmouthshire legend!

Nick - Thats great advice mate cheers. The tower option seems very reasonable, i would expect a higher cost. If you have any details of a company you would recommend, i'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Nic - They have been cut before, it's not a big cut required purely an aesthetic trim so if i get the job, will use the HS81T as its ideal for this kind of job.

- Like office filing.....  lol , and please wear gloves in case you cut your fingers. 

• We built a scaffold tower on a caged trailer and secured the tower to one corner of the cage for stability then i towed it around the site drinking coffee and listening to the radio whilst my pal did the cutting. This was on concrete though but i suppose you could do it on turf in the middle of a dry spell in summer. 

• Great Ingenuity Briggs!! If I need any flat pack furniture building i'll be on to you ;-)

briggsandscrapem said:

We built a scaffold tower on a caged trailer and secured the tower to one corner of the cage for stability then i towed it around the site drinking coffee and listening to the radio whilst my pal did the cutting. This was on concrete though but i suppose you could do it on turf in the middle of a dry spell in summer. 

• Cheers Nick - ive looked into it and gone down this route - there is a company in Chester that does the same thing for similar price so have now submitted quote - thanks for the advice good shout.

Nick @ NM Garden Services (NMGS) said:

I use D&S Toolhire which covers High Wycombe to Woking or thereabouts. They are a small firm and probably no use to you as yah are too far away!
    Just in case their details can be seen at www.d-stoolhire.co.uk.

Nick.

Andy Kenney said:

Cheers John - My arms can take a lot of effort mate after over 20 years of military service but i feel if you can reduce physical output on a job and still remain cost effective, then do it. I don't need to prove myself physically and then do my back in like many gardeners and landscapers do!

• PRO

Sounds similar to a job I did in central Spalding for one of my regular customers the other year - although I only had to cut two and you have more trees to contend with!

My personal approach was to use my Henchman and trim them with my Tanaka long reach hedge cutter (no extension). I have used various different scaffolding towers for jobs before and they are time consuming to set up and move (neither of them had wheels). One was a small tower that didn't give any great width and the other ex council one was wider but the sections were too heavy to safely build it single handed.

Also on unlevel ground I found I spent more time packing the legs steady than actually cutting anything - so I scrapped them both and bought a Henchman instead - I count it among one of the most useful pieces of kit I own.

This is the job that I did - incidentally they are due another trim soon.

3314677981?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…