About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Suppose a tree comes down blocking a residents car park or commercial premises, care home or hospital etc that you maintain. Or heavy snowfall makes a sloping site impossible to enter or exit by car then would you go out on Christmas day to solve the customers problem for them ?

I would. My personal circumstances mean it would be easy to do so but i'd like to think that even if i had kids i still would anyway. Its not a case of money grabbing but being there when your customers need you most. My dad was a milkman back in the days when the rounds used to go out on Christmas day and i can remember having to wait until he got back from work to open the presents, it never did us any harm.

Just wondered what other juicers thought about this ?

Mike.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

absolutely if the phone rings then the customer always comes first no matter what day it is

• PRO
    Yep Aye- my husband would. Although we have a two year old and a new born, we could celebrate Christmas any day. In Burma, where he is from, they don't have Christmas. Aye would always help someone in an emergency. 
  • I would, but only because im a sad git that hates christmas!

• Big difference between a care home and a domestic client. I'd always help out in a charitable sense, but I'd not be round to most clients on Christmas Day because their Bentley was blocked in by a fallen branch.

I think you have to judge ANY call out that's not part of your contract between genuinely helping someone, or making a rod for your own back...

My middle name is Scrooge, though. ;-)

• A good deed that's whats christmas is about and you get paid too!

• I've sat and thought about that for an hour or so and come to the conclusion that my heart would say no but my business mind would say yes.

We owe all our commercial contracts a lot so yes i would go out.

hope my wife won't read this lol
  • PRO

We had a town council contract where it was part of the specification to supply an emergency call out service.

Clearing Fallen trees/branches, ice and snow and fly tipping were the main demands.

We were also responsible for emptying the town's 53 litter bins and unlocking and cleaning a toilet block at the town's heath pond, 365 days of the year.

I did however, during my constant review battles with their contract's manager, successfully argue that a collection on Christmas and Boxing days was not necessary and the toilet should stay shut.

I don't remember having any serious incidents but it did spoil the festive season a bit for the person who was on standby and for me who was always on standby.

I would not have responded to any other commercial or domestic client over Christmas.

Getting any staff cover was always difficult too (understandably).

• Personally, No.

My work/life balance dictates that I make the most of the time off I get with my wife.

If it were a life or death situation that required my assistance then that's different of course.

• Yes.

• If it was local and i would be out for a maximum of 2hrs then yes, but only if it was really necessary, and the situation was potentially dangerous or liable to cause harm, otherwise definately a big fat 'NO'

I do clear snow etc for some of my local older clients, especially those with numerous steps or slopes upto the front door, but a call on christmas day! i dont think they would ask even if they really needed it, as they appreciate i also need time off, for myself and my family.

I cherish my time off just like anyone else and im sure most things could wait a day or two, that said i dont do any commercial work, which is an entirely different ball game with regards contracts etc.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO

How Do You Qualify A Sales Lead?

I don't know about you, but our phones and emails are starting to get busy with enquiries. I've learned over the years that it's all too easy to answer the phone, arrange a consultation and then spend a couple of hours with a prospective client…

Read more…
Comments: 0