Suppose a tree comes down blocking a residents car park or commercial premises, care home or hospital etc that you maintain. Or heavy snowfall makes a sloping site impossible to enter or exit by car then would you go out on Christmas day to solve the customers problem for them ?

I would. My personal circumstances mean it would be easy to do so but i'd like to think that even if i had kids i still would anyway. Its not a case of money grabbing but being there when your customers need you most. My dad was a milkman back in the days when the rounds used to go out on Christmas day and i can remember having to wait until he got back from work to open the presents, it never did us any harm.

Just wondered what other juicers thought about this ?

Mike.

Views: 814

Reply to this topic

Replies to This Discussion

When people are remote elderly and the snow falls and they get blocked
water pipes then do they call the emergency water services or someone
they know who has a friendly face I wonder?  What if it is a dangerous drive who do you call, the AA

Do you think the local council should have an emergency support service with of course employers of course are well paid to do? Maybe they do have this in some places?

Paul McNulty said:

Big difference between a care home and a domestic client. I'd always help out in a charitable sense, but I'd not be round to most clients on Christmas Day because their Bentley was blocked in by a fallen branch.

I think you have to judge ANY call out that's not part of your contract between genuinely helping someone, or making a rod for your own back...

My middle name is Scrooge, though. ;-)

We don't offer gritting or tree removal and really nothing we offer is of an 'emergency' nature and we don't do any commercial/care home where there might be some contractual obligation. Obviously I'd help anyone out in real trouble but I must admit I tend to switch off the business phone when on holiday. I just find the time out so important especially as the only real holiday we take is Christmas and its been a difficult year family wise. Can't wait to finish this year - Thursday here we come!

What if a bird crapped on their front window and they called you up at 7am on christmas day?

Jenny@ A & J Owen Gardening said:

We don't offer gritting or tree removal and really nothing we offer is of an 'emergency' nature and we don't do any commercial/care home where there might be some contractual obligation. Obviously I'd help anyone out in real trouble but I must admit I tend to switch off the business phone when on holiday. I just find the time out so important especially as the only real holiday we take is Christmas and its been a difficult year family wise. Can't wait to finish this year - Thursday here we come!

Yes, if within the terms of a commercial contract as we are there to provide a service.
We have to provide an out of hours contact number.

I generally wouldn't answer the phone anyway. If someone is in desperate need they would leave a message on the phone which I would check. If it were serious I'd go out (i.e client fallen on the floor and can't get up), but if it was just gardening/a matter of inconvenience then no chance. The time at home with the family is very important, and I know my lady puts up with a lot already. She is the most important person to me after all and I wouldn't want to upset her.

Like I say - the phone would be off! Would anyone be sad enough to do that - maybe they would?

Chris Auld said:

What if a bird crapped on their front window and they called you up at 7am on christmas day?

Jenny@ A & J Owen Gardening said:

Every call has its merits and would be judged on them, but normally the answer would be Yes, its the old boy scout in me coming out. Doing a good turn every day. I also am a volunteer for our towns volunnteer community support group as well, so could get called out for that aswell.

No, i am closed from the 24th of Dec to the 3rd of Jan, All works and property’s will be left safe, secure and clean, we are not the 4th emergency service.

I am having some well earned time off, I have been working 6 to 7 days a week since March, plus office time on top, I need sleep.

We to are closed from the 24th December to 9th January, our annual holiday, in fact our only holiday!

However a customer order demands that we return to work during our holiday on 5th January.

We have no problem with this, as like most in business, our customers pays our wages, so customer service is always first, holiday or not.

We cannot charge a premium for working during our holiday, as we have set Trade prices, nor would not seek to.

If the customer changed the date to 25th December, no worries.  Work is work.

That fact that this customer is taking us both out for a meal on 23rd December, as a thank you for our service, makes it all worthwhile.

Only if really really necessary - trees completely blocking driveways/falling on houses.  Even at that, we would simply move them to a convenient location and schedule into the diary to deal with.  The time spent on call outs is obviously charged at a premium which makes it bearable to perform these sorts of services. 

I think it depends on the level of service being provided, as Phil says if its written into a contract then you legally should go. I think in an emergency if one of my past clients made a call in distress and needed help i would go. Not for the money or to get away from the horrible family arguments i have to endure. But solely because that customer will remember me for doing it, would most likely tell people how reliable i was. Word of mouth is a very powerful tool.

I would but of course depending upon how serious the problem is.   This reminded me of one of my ex clients - she was quite a well known WAG and liked to milk it for all it was worth.  One evening she left a message saying I had to come round immediately (think it was 7:30PM on a Friday).  Upon entering the rear garden, she was standing on the patio table (or quickly jumped on it!) and pointing to a dead mouse!!

Dead mouse removed and wrote her a ticket for a "standard site visit charge", she later left me a voicemail saying that she didn't think it was fair to charge her etc. and not even a thank you. Hence she is now an ex client!!

So yes for fallen trees and ill clients but no to removal of dead animals on Christmas Day :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LJN Sponsors

Advertisers

UK waste transfer stations

© 2014   Landscape Juice ® Limited - Registered in England 08356644

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service