I have been aproched in the past and have noticed adverts about cutting lawns and maintaining churchyards near to where I live. My question is do you feel these projects can be a usual tool to show your customers you are doing your bit for the community. As they can also lead to further work in the village and town as an advert to your work. If so do u feel as the churches are run pretty much as charities you offer a slightly discounted rate.

Would be useful to hear your ideas and comments

Tags: charity, churches, lawns, maintenance

Views: 949

Reply to this topic

Replies to This Discussion

That looks interesting Richard, I've bookmarked that and i'll have a proper look through tomorrow

Richard Thornton said:

That's dedication! I use polycut blades, as I'm told they wont damage the gravestones, and are better for wildlife. The churchyard conservation charity Caring for God's Acre has loads of advice - http://www.caringforgodsacre.org.uk/advicesheets.aspx

andy@ Doughty Garden Maintenance said:

I use a strimmer on the newer and more sturdier gravestones, but on the older ones and ones that are eroding I use scissors to cut the grass away,

Thanks Gary,

Gary RK said:

Sounds as if they are very lucky to have you....and I'm sure it is very appreciated by the families.

I use a strimmer on the newer and more sturdier gravestones, but on the older ones and ones that are eroding I use scissors to cut the grass away,

Flowers and wreaths I carefully move if they are on the grass, I mow then replace them. There was a christmas wreath on one grave that had been there for years, it was basically just a circlular frame with a few mummified holly leaves but it is not my place to dispose of it, so i always just moved it and replaced it afterwards,

This christmas the family have put a new wreath, and i like to think they appreciate that the old one was still there,

My son is buried in a larger cemetary and the council remove any christmas items from graves after January the 31st, which i feel is a bit rude.

It's just a matter of respect for the deceased and their families

Anthony @ JDC Maintenance said:

Just out of curiosity how do you go about tidying up around all the graves, im assuming the use of a strimmer, but does this not gradually cause damage to the headstone, and what about clearing around or moving flowers etc whats the protocol there?

Indeed, sounds like you really enjoy the work there, i have seen the before and after pics you posted previously, looks very nice now its properly cared for. I must admit its not the sort of work i could warm too using scissors to cut grass but, respect where its due Andy, nice job mate :-)

Gary RK said:

Sounds as if they are very lucky to have you....and I'm sure it is very appreciated by the families.

Flowers and wreaths I carefully move if they are on the grass, I mow then replace them. There was a christmas wreath on one grave that had been there for years, it was basically just a circlular frame with a few mummified holly leaves but it is not my place to dispose of it, so i always just moved it and replaced it afterwards,

This christmas the family have put a new wreath, and i like to think they appreciate that the old one was still there,

My son is buried in a larger cemetary and the council remove any christmas items from graves after January the 31st, which i feel is a bit rude.

It's just a matter of respect for the deceased and their families

Just out of curiosity how do you go about tidying up around all the graves, im assuming the use of a strimmer, but does this not gradually cause damage to the headstone, and what about clearing around or moving flowers etc whats the protocol there?

Thanks Anthony, I do really enjoy looking after the church yard, 

The scissor work is minimal lol, It's just on a few gravestones that are flaking away, takes about 10 mins at the most,

Cheers mate, :-)

Indeed, sounds like you really enjoy the work there, i have seen the before and after pics you posted previously, looks very nice now its properly cared for. I must admit its not the sort of work i could warm too using scissors to cut grass but, respect where its due Andy, nice job mate :-)

Just found this thread.
I have maintained two local churches for over 15 years now at commercial, if not greatly profitable, rates and like others take pride in keeping them well. Customers never have and never will complain and non-residents often compliment me!
After 15 years I probably know most of the grave as well as anyone and I really enjoy helping visitors find what they are seeking, which being in Ireland, often means colonials, from US, Canada, Antipodes etc, who are several generations removed from the parish.
I declined to quote for my own church...I often help out when needed, but having it on contract just seem to be asking for hassle.

I have one local church on my maintenance books and it's a nice job that I enjoy. It's a simple area to maintain but I get compliments and a genuine sense of appreciation from it, plus it's about 50 yards from home.

The Father of the Church has just asked me to provide a quote for another one that he looks after a couple of miles away. These are newer churches though without graveyards so quite short and simple to maintain.

I price these jobs fairly and in a similar bracket to all of my work.

I would be happy to maintain the local grave yard if asked but would charge the going rate.

The local pub is way better for getting know by the locals, I have lived in my village 30 odd years and are well known, within 1 1/2 miles of my local pub we must maintain 30 homes most of which drink or know some one who drinks in the pub.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LJN Sponsors

Advertisers

© 2014   Landscape Juice ® Limited - Registered in England 08356644

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service