About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

I know similar questions have been asked before but I want to get more recent results as I have recently started up and I'm trying to be competitive. I charge £90 a panel or £60 per linear meter for feather edge as a basic starting point. I use 3x3 posts with post mix in a 2 ft hole and metal brackets to secure the panels or 4x4 posts with 2.4m bays on the feather edge with capping and gravel boards again with 2 ft holes and post mix. In my opinion, I think my prices are more than fair for a quality job done and no corners cut but some customers have said they have had quotes half my prices which is very concerning. What do you guys think? Any help much appreciated. I'm located in the south west

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ashley, welcome and good to hear from you.

There are many definitions of "competitive" and at least one of those implies a race to the bottom on price.

So your definition needs to include with whom you wish to be competitive? The uninsured? The benefits claimants? In other words, those who have no overheads and no way of putting right what they do wrong? True, some of them will not go far wrong but nor can they afford to finance a quality job or the quality tools with which to do it.

If, on the other hand, you want to compete with competent professionals who are properly tooled and insured you are possibly a tad on the low price side but not too markedly so.

Please try to get away from the idea of pricing by "yardage" or "hourly rates" or anything similar. Take a browse around many of the earlier threads within the Juice network and you will see many pointers about how you can do that. Then you can build your business and your reputation whilst gaining repeat and referred work from your customers.

As a southerner living in Yorkshire, I can tell you price differentials across the country are no more than marginal if anything. Even here, where the folk have a reputation for, not to put too fine a point on it, being tight fisted, they are perfectly happy to pay for quality.

Like anywhere else, some will pay a cowboy in the mistaken belief there is a saving to be made. But, also like anywhere else, they tend to be either skint or in a small minority of those who do have the cash.

Too many skilled operatives, landscapers and gardeners among many others, hear the price talk and take it in. Then they join in the price race. It is a mistake.

• Thank you Mike for your detailed reply and the welcome. I started off quoting each job individually but kept getting the same response from most of the customers that I'm too expensive. At first I took it on the chin but after a while, I couldn't understand why a lot comment on the cost. It's actually been driving me mad! Its good to know I'm not too high with my price range tho as its really had me going round in circles. I don't like quoting per M but Iv pushed myself to it whilst trying to earn some income. I understand why its a bad idea but I guess its a easy way to compare with others and yes its definitely easy to get caught in the price race. My feather edge initially started with 1.8m bays but I had no choice to extend this to 2.4m bays to keep to those prices but earning hardly anything on a job. I have only posted some offers and prices today for on the meter but once they have expired, I will not be re-offending. Thankyou very much for the reasurance

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO

How Do You Qualify A Sales Lead?

I don't know about you, but our phones and emails are starting to get busy with enquiries. I've learned over the years that it's all too easy to answer the phone, arrange a consultation and then spend a couple of hours with a prospective client…

Read more…
Comments: 0