I am not going to influence the start of the debate by giving an opinion but it would be of great interest to know who is providing the best service for small to medium sized land-based businesses at the moment?

Please contribute both positive or negative experiences.

Tags: account, banking, best, business, deals

Views: 1937

Reply to this topic

Replies to This Discussion

the coop give free banking if your a fsb member also tridos bank are very good for ethical banking.
I have chased up lloyds again and finally got a letter this week telling me they will be looking into it, but only after I phoned and made them pass on my official complaint.

I had a telephone call a couple of days later telling me that it was probably alright now that I had changed branches, and did I still want to register my complaint.

Everyone makes mistakes, but not for five months -and without an apology, and with an attitude that stunk of arrogance, "So yes", not only did I want to register my complaint but I was also expecting a payment of goodwill to cover all my phone calls and the hassle caused by all their major mistakes.

Ace Garden Services - John said:
Lloyds TSB have made so many mistakes in the last two years, I feel that I am at war with them. I have made three official complaints in the last few weeks and have heard nothing back.
Unable to pay cheques in to my branch out of hours, statements being sent to an old address for five months, unhelpful service. Charges when not overdrawn.
They take money off me, and yet give back very litle in return.
One of my customers has been caught out by Santander with this scam. He sent me a cheque after depositing a large one, the one he sent me bounced twice as the funds hadn't cleared before they bounced his cheque.
It must have cost him quite a bit in charges particularly if I wasn't the only one fortunately I had put it in a building society deposit account so it didn't incurr charges my end.
I had considered trying Santander but this experience and other negative feedback has changed my mind.

Rob Glassborow said:
Ive now been with Santander Business Banking for 3 months. I have to say it is rubbish, and its free because it is rubbish.

Basically the accout is called an online account, which obviously means that you can access account details any time, pay bills etc. However, you can only pay in at an ATM, No counter service, if you call the telephone banking it will cost 10p per min. But, the worse point is cheques take 7-10 days to clear if you post them, and 5 working days if you deposit at an ATM. But these are references only, and Santander do not guarantee these lenghts of time. BUT, debits from you account take only 2 days. So, if you have debits going out one week you had better ensure the funds are paid in and cleared at least 7 days before.

Im closing mine and going back to personal banking. Quicker cheque clearance, quicker deposit credit, and not free but efficient.
I'm in the exact same boat Rob, I hate the length of time it takes which makes keeping track of accounts difficult.

There is no need for cheques to take so long, and for the company you bank with to tell you at a counter "no I cannot give you any information about your account" just takes the piss!

Rob Glassborow said:
Ive now been with Santander Business Banking for 3 months. I have to say it is rubbish, and its free because it is rubbish.

Basically the accout is called an online account, which obviously means that you can access account details any time, pay bills etc. However, you can only pay in at an ATM, No counter service, if you call the telephone banking it will cost 10p per min. But, the worse point is cheques take 7-10 days to clear if you post them, and 5 working days if you deposit at an ATM. But these are references only, and Santander do not guarantee these lenghts of time. BUT, debits from you account take only 2 days. So, if you have debits going out one week you had better ensure the funds are paid in and cleared at least 7 days before.

Im closing mine and going back to personal banking. Quicker cheque clearance, quicker deposit credit, and not free but efficient.
I've just opened one!!

Rob Glassborow said:
DONT GO ANYWHERE NEAR SANTANDER BUSINESS BANKING.

It is absolutley rubbish. They take longer to credit your payments into your account than ususal, but are very quick to pay the debits. The result is that your debits are refused, as the credits are still clearing, meaning they apply charges.

When you try to close the account they delay the process so long that it takes you over the period in which you are obliged to pay in a mininmum of £3K, and so they apply charges.

They also keep the account active for about 6 weeks, even though you have signed the forms to close it, so any standing orders are refused, resulting in charges.

This is marketed as a 'Free banking' account, but in fact it is full of items to trip you up so that charges can be applied. I have to say, they are the worse banking service ive ever used. Free banking! Its 'Free' because its rubbish.
I've never had any problems with Santander business banking.

Miranda said:
I've just opened one!!

Rob Glassborow said:

It is absolutley rubbish. They take longer to credit your payments into your account than ususal, but are very quick to pay the debits. The result is that your debits are refused, as the credits are still clearing, meaning they apply charges.

When you try to close the account they delay the process so long that it takes you over the period in which you are obliged to pay in a mininmum of £3K, and so they apply charges.

They also keep the account active for about 6 weeks, even though you have signed the forms to close it, so any standing orders are refused, resulting in charges.

This is marketed as a 'Free banking' account, but in fact it is full of items to trip you up so that charges can be applied. I have to say, they are the worse banking service ive ever used. Free banking! Its 'Free' because its rubbish.
Hi Rob

Be a bit cautious with the headline and make sure you make it clear that it's your opinion just to be safe.

I don't think we'll have a problem with what you've said but it's a fine line between opinion and giving advice as though it's fact.

Rob Glassborow said:

I am very close to changing from santander to RBS. I don't have any direct debits on my santander account and no minimum pay-in either, but the time it takes for payments to show up/clear is ridiculous. I also really REALLY hate not being able to go to a branch to speak about my account; a bit of a joke really.

For the sake of a cpound of two a week in cheque charges I reckon it's worth going with a bank you can depend on.
Hi Rob

I visited our local Santander to ask about opening a Business Account with them, as we do some personal banking with them.

I was told that "Although they offer Free Banking for Business they offer no back up service for Business customers"

You can make of that what you will...

We did, and will not use Santander as our Business bank.

Problem is, they are all as bad as each other, under the clock on the tele is probably safer?

Rob Glassborow said:

We have had a problem with one of our customers who uses Santander, we have had cheques from him being bounced drawn on Santander and although we have traded with him for years without difficulty this situation is not too pleasant. I said last time that I could hang on until he thought his funds were cleared but he still got caught out.

Rob Glassborow said:
Its just my opinion.

Philip Voice said:
Hi Rob

Be a bit cautious with the headline and make sure you make it clear that it's your opinion just to be safe.

I don't think we'll have a problem with what you've said but it's a fine line between opinion and giving advice as though it's fact.

Rob Glassborow said:

I hope LJN members take some time to explore and respond to the following...

Banks to be examined by OFT over treatment of small businesses

The Forum of Private Business, working on behalf of the Office of Fair Trading, has created a survey which aims to establish how well the banks have dealt with small businesses. The survey comes amid growing concerns over lending – and is available on the following website:

http://www.fpb.org/images/surveys/oft_survey.htm
Just completed it

Philip Voice said:
I hope LJN members take some time to explore and respond to the following...

Banks to be examined by OFT over treatment of small businesses

The Forum of Private Business, working on behalf of the Office of Fair Trading, has created a survey which aims to establish how well the banks have dealt with small businesses. The survey comes amid growing concerns over lending – and is available on the following website:

http://www.fpb.org/images/surveys/oft_survey.htm

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Landscape Juice sponsored by

LJN Sponsors

© 2014   Landscape Juice ® Limited - Registered in England 08356644

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service