About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Stihl KM-130

Thinking of buying a new kombi system engine for my strimmer, hedge cutter attachements etc.

I currently own the KM-100, and my supplier has recommended upgrading to the 130.

How do you find using the 130 compared to the other models?
How does it handle when you have the strimmer attached to it? My concern is that the extra power might make the strimmer attachment hard to handle. Im a bit worried no matter how soft i use the trigger that the strimmer will be spinning too fast for conditions and potentiall smash windows!!

Your thoughts would be great!

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've got it, and the strimmer is more awkward to use than my last Stihl strimmer only model. I've avoided the combi before, but the shorter storage is more convenient in day-to-day use than having the long-reach hedge cutter in the van getting in the way.

I don't really do "strimming" very often, but a lot of careful edging. The 130 does seem to be all-or-nothing on the trigger, and I've had exactly that situation where I've been throwing up stones rather than slowly trimming the odd blade of grass that's straying over it's neat edge. If it's not for heavier work I'd say try before you buy, but then I guess you have to accept that you need the bigger engine on a combi or it won't do the other jobs properly?

• Totally agree and like the saying `all or nothing` Thats exactly my worry.

I think i might test use it before i buy. And i might even buy the smaller fs 90 or 100 if i think it might be a little trigger happy.

Paul McNulty said:

I've got it, and the strimmer is more awkward to use than my last Stihl strimmer only model. I've avoided the combi before, but the shorter storage is more convenient in day-to-day use than having the long-reach hedge cutter in the van getting in the way.

I don't really do "strimming" very often, but a lot of careful edging. The 130 does seem to be all-or-nothing on the trigger, and I've had exactly that situation where I've been throwing up stones rather than slowly trimming the odd blade of grass that's straying over it's neat edge. If it's not for heavier work I'd say try before you buy, but then I guess you have to accept that you need the bigger engine on a combi or it won't do the other jobs properly?

• Hi Steve, bit late seeing this post but thought i would add my 2 pence to it.  I have used the stihl combi 130 for over 2 years now and its been great.  It has never let me down and does a great job no matter what attachment i use on it.  The strimmer is good and i would say just the right sort of power that you need for those commercial contracts.  The only negative i have is that it can get a bit heavy on the arms when using the hedge cutter for long periods of time.  I used it for 2 days straight the other week and could hardly feel my arms the following day.  Did you decide to buy it then?

Gary

• I use a KM56 yes I know its small, but easy on the arms for edging and light strimming, have an old FS180 with a blade for the bad stuff.

• Hi gary

No I bought the km 90 in the end. Previously had the km 100 and always found it too trigger happy as I like to rev quite low with strimming due to smashing windows etc.
    I've got to say I prefer the 90 and still find hedge cutting with it absolutely fine and the power is fine for hedge cutting.
    They are heavy machines but I am used to it now after using them for years.
    All in all I don't think it matters too much whether you go for the 90,100 or 130. They are all damn fine machines!

Gary, GS Grounds Maintenance said:

Hi Steve, bit late seeing this post but thought i would add my 2 pence to it.  I have used the stihl combi 130 for over 2 years now and its been great.  It has never let me down and does a great job no matter what attachment i use on it.  The strimmer is good and i would say just the right sort of power that you need for those commercial contracts.  The only negative i have is that it can get a bit heavy on the arms when using the hedge cutter for long periods of time.  I used it for 2 days straight the other week and could hardly feel my arms the following day.  Did you decide to buy it then?

Gary

• Bit late, but will chip in.

I run four Kombi engines, two KM90's, a KM100 and a KM56.

Strangely the KM90's appear to have more power than the Km100, though it may be just a duff engine. Have had a few problems with a low idle, despite adjustments.

Km56 unsurprisingly underpowered, 

• Worth noting on the new 4mix engines after about 100 hours use or sooner if heavy you need to "Adjust" the engine - the valve ports need re-seating and checking to maintain power. I found with my KM90 that it became sluggish after about 3 months and just didnt feel the "grunt" in it, until I had it tuned.

Stihl recommend this tuning after bedding in aswell.

I also run an old KM85, if you can find one that is not destroyed and worn out, they are wonderful - Really responsive, simple and bomb-proof, nice grunt, good torque and the KM85 has the power to do everything, or everything I've thrown at it anyway.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…