About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Re-laying a gravel path

Hello Everyone.

I have only been operating for a couple of weeks now and already I have been asked 3 separate times to quote for  removing gravel from a path/border, putting in a new membrane and then putting the gravel back on top.

I am fairly comfortable with doing this but wondered if anyone else finds this is a regular job and I suspect I need to be washing the gravel before replacing, so, how do I wash gravel?

This website has been priceless for me as a new start up, thanks for all the advice

Simon 

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is it worth washing the gravel? You could spend a lot of time and water doing that, or could you try sieveing it using something like a Scheppach rotary sieve?  

Either way wouldn't it be quicker and cheaper for you and the customer to replace it with new?

• Would the cost of disposing of all the old gravel and buying new might make it worthwhile cleaning it and replacing it instead?

• I have experimented washing gravel, and it takes ages and uses lots and lots of water! If you cleaned it you will still have the 'compost' to get rid of. In the past I have only dug out and replaced. I can see the attraction of sieving, but am trying to justify the cost! If you have space to store the old gravel, it always comes in usefull for something! 

• What does the customer(s) expect to see? If they expect new, clean-as-a-whistle gravel, then I would replace.

If not, then it may be worth taking up, replacing membrane, spreading gravel and blast through with pressure washer.  If there is a lot of mud mixed in, then go back to Plan A!

• PRO

Simon, my thoughts on this:

I have laid new gravel next to old gravel, looks a bit naff and doesn't blend in properly - but that's what the client wanted on their driveway as they didn't want the expense of re-gravelling the whole lot.

I have never tried washing gravel, personally I wouldn't bother - its as likely to take you as long in labour to lift, wash and relay the old stuff as it would to get some fresh stuff delivered and laid. Let alone the mess that is going to be created/have to be cleared up afterwards....

I'm sure given the choice the customer would rather have new stuff laid and that's the direction I would steer them in anyway...

As regards the old stuff, I have several people who would gladly take it off my hands, so personally wouldn't need a skip!

• Gravel and chippings are funny the number of times I have spoken to clients who say i had the gravel installed so my garden was maintenance free!!! (when will they learn there is no such thing!) yet they put it under a hedge that drops or under large trees and then moan about the leaves and having to pick them out. I always advise customers to pin a tarpaling down prior to cutting the the hedge or the winter leaf drop over the gravel then you can just roll it up and take the leaves to your compost bin or the local tip and it saves a lot of time on your knees picking up every leaf, it may not look pretty but saves a lot of time.

• Thanks for the advice. Will probably try and dissuade them

• PRO
    I actually did this for a customer as they insisted they wanted thier gravel cleaned it took days and created a lot of waste!! I would say the cost in comparison with replacing with new was about 150% more but they were happy to pay so who was I to argue??? 
  • Paul, I like your opinion about not using membrane under gravel.

But I think for most plants being planted surrounded with layer of Mot - in the long run not recommended.

Most plants do prefer some air to the roots. I do get your way in any other area  with no plants. ( or if you break some area around the plants.

• simon you could try using a cement mixer to wash the gravel but you will still have to strain the water off

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…