About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Need some ideas for low maintenance hedging!

A customer has asked me to come up with an idea to make the front of there property more private from the main road. They have a square patch of grass about 5m x 5m rasied 1m from the road by a brick wall. (their house is on a hill)  They want to plant a hedge around the perimeter that will bush up quickly (within 2 years) but doesnt need to be cut to regulary! they idealy want it to grow about 5 ft tall and be quite dense. Any ideas welcome!!! ???

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• yew hedging would be ideal but will take a bit longer than 2 years to bush out unless you got them at about 4ft but they are quite expensive

• Common laurel, grows quickly, tolerates hard pruning, cheap, tolerates partial to moderate shade, grows in almost any soil, resistant to drought, disease, pests, etc. Only needs cut once a year. Also, looks nice.

•  

The bamboo idea is a no go i had simular thoughts but as its on a main road in a small village i think it would just look too out of place. thanks for the link though usefull for future ref, laurel was my thought although spotted could be just the little something different im looking for! Thanks for the help guys!

• The problem with Aucuba japonica or spotted laurel is that its not really a 'hedging plant'. It tends to only produce foliage on the tips of the stems, like rhododendrons, therefore when you trim it, it will look very bare for a while, although it will recover fine. Ive also noticed these shrubs seem to suffer from a lot of pests and diseases such as vine weevil grub and stem die back, therefore i wouldn't recommend it.

• I've seen a lot of problems with Laurels over the last few years, such as shot-hole or leaf-drop making them look pretty awful. They do need careful and regular clipping by hand if you want them to stay "formal"; don't look too closely at a Laurel hadge that's been cut with hedgecutters, and if you don't cut them regularly you'll need to go in hard and they'll look bad for a full season.

You need to explain to the client that you can't buy small, cheap hedging plants, that will grow to a full-height bushy hedge in two years, yet not be fast-growing and need regular clipping!

If you want a once-a-year cliiping, yew is lovely when well cared for. You can easily buy it at a decent size but it will still take time to fill in, and cost a lot. Buying ready-grown yew by the metre is a great way to put in an established hedge instantly, but more expensive again.

One thing, please don't let them put in lonicera nitida, it's the bane of my life as I have loads of it to cut. It needs doing 3 or 4 times a year to look tidy, never looks great and really isn't a "cheap alternative to box hedging", as the people who plant it tell the client!

• Red robin would interest me as i love the colour. pros and cons of photina?

• Cant be pruned any later than September IMO as it stimulates new growth which can be damaged by frosts come winter. Also has a tendacy to drop its leaves in very cold temperatures and harsh winds (like last winter), effectivley making it deciduous. Needs full sun to produce dense, colourful foliage, also it seems to be eaten by many insects, not sure which though, probably caterpillars or leaf miners. However it does make a really nice informal hedge in the right conditions.

3314638060?profile=original

Craig Nester said:

Red robin would interest me as i love the colour. pros and cons of photina?

• Stunning image Chris, love it! Is that one of your projects?

• Ditto Richard, what a lovely hedge. There is one local to me and every time I pass it I think its lovely.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…