About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

KM130 leaking grease in hot weather

My KM130 has always lost a little bit of grease from the area shown in the pic, in between the handle and clutch housing, i normally have some gaffer tape over the hole to stop it getting on my clothes. But in the heat the tape has come off and now using it this morning you can see how much grease as oozed out. The question is, the holes obviously there for a reason but is it supposed to leak grease and more to the point where is it coming from? I bought it used several years ago and its always had some grease around that area, so i dont know if its normal or not!

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Its not normal, I've had mine for 5 years and never seen anything come out that hole.

• PRO
    It looks to me that you may have been over greasing the machine. It shouldn't have travelled that far up the shaft, unless you have been doing a awful lot of vertical cutting. How often are you greasing up the head ?. Also, are you storing the machine veritcaly or horizontal, both when in the van and at your base / unit ?
  • I grease the head maybe twice a year, just a small squeeze of the tube each time. The engine and cutter head are stored seperated and both lying horizontal when in transit and storage.

Brian www.mibservices.co.uk said:

It looks to me that you may have been over greasing the machine. It shouldn't have travelled that far up the shaft, unless you have been doing a awful lot of vertical cutting. How often are you greasing up the head ?. Also, are you storing the machine veritcaly or horizontal, both when in the van and at your base / unit ?
  • PRO
    Im assuming that the only grease nipples are on the attachment heads (strimmer, hedge trimmer etc) like "normal" machines ? If your only greasing a couple of times a year. are you only using it a couple of times ?. Machine heads should be greased every week at least if being used daily.

Anthony @ JDC Maintenance said:

I grease the head maybe twice a year, just a small squeeze of the tube each time. The engine and cutter head are stored seperated and both lying horizontal when in transit and storage.

• I think your meant to grease them every 10 hours of use.

• Maybe its got some sort of religious significance like the tears from the Virgin Mary's statue?

• Its not used daily, maybe twice a week on average and then generally only for short periods of say 20 mins, i have a HS45 that shares the load as well. I always understood that if you greased them to much its as bad as not doing it at all, because if excess cant escape, im assuming it would do this via the blades where they enter the head, then pressure can build up and damage the seal and even the mechanism!

Im assuming that the only grease nipples are on the attachment heads (strimmer, hedge trimmer etc) like "normal" machines ? If your only greasing a couple of times a year. are you only using it a couple of times ?. Machine heads should be greased every week at least if being used daily.

I grease the head maybe twice a year, just a small squeeze of the tube each time. The engine and cutter head are stored seperated and both lying horizontal when in transit and storage.

• PRO
    Theres an apperture / space at the base of the blades which allows the grease to "bleed" excess grease. So you cant over grease when greasing using the nipple. That was why I asked how the machine was being stored. As the machine generates a hell of a heat when working the grease becomes soft and runy and thought it must have been running back down the shaft if stored vertically or doing lots of vertical cutting. The only other way if not over greasing it is that the previous owner did, or actually pumped grease into the shaft when it was split from the attachment. Its got to be coming from that end of the machine, its definately not coming from the power unit.
  • Yeh, if anything i under grease it, so definitely not from me. Must be an excessive amount actually trapped in the shaft some how, will just keep mopping it up until it hopefully stops. Why, and how would someone put extra grease into the shaft any way, i thought they were pretty much sealed up?

Theres an apperture / space at the base of the blades which allows the grease to "bleed" excess grease. So you cant over grease when greasing using the nipple. That was why I asked how the machine was being stored. As the machine generates a hell of a heat when working the grease becomes soft and runy and thought it must have been running back down the shaft if stored vertically or doing lots of vertical cutting. The only other way if not over greasing it is that the previous owner did, or actually pumped grease into the shaft when it was split from the attachment. Its got to be coming from that end of the machine, its definately not coming from the power unit.
  • PRO

They may have put it through the same hole its leaking from Anthony, maybe in the belief that the prop shaft needs to be greased ???.

Yeh, if anything i under grease it, so definitely not from me. Must be an excessive amount actually trapped in the shaft some how, will just keep mopping it up until it hopefully stops. Why, and how would someone put extra grease into the shaft any way, i thought they were pretty much sealed up?

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…