I have a client who's lawn is shaded for most of the day, especially at this time of year, there is a large brick wall down one side of the garden that is approx 12ft high. The garden faces SW and the sun comes round behind the wall. The lawn was 50% moss and this was treated and scarified in late October, i have recently treated the moss again and as you can imagine the whole area looks very bare and patchy. The soil is reasonable so i will only be top dressing and over sowing with a shade tolerant seed mix. The client is keen to get things underway as it looks horrible but considering the recent weather and occasional frost would you guys take a chance or wait another few weeks/end of March, im on the south east london, north kent border? I had suggested turfing would be a safer option weather wise if they were in a hurry but they don't want to go down this 'messy' route as access to the garden is through the house.
As colin said it should be okay but if it was me I would wait a few more weeks, we are still due a dumping of heavy rain and cold snaps this week and next. Grass seed is expensive and would be prudent to wait a tad longer
I would'nt normally attempt to seed until March at earliest, but client is getting impatient! Advice has confirmed my gut feeling though so will hold off for now, lawn has looked crap all winter so whats a few more weeks!