About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Ive been asked to install the above in a garden, the posts will need holes dug out. I have done fencing before but never for someone else so i know all whats involved. Im thinking this will take two people three hours so that will work out £90 labour plus materials. Does this sound about right?

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1/2 a day Minimum...........fetching cement / ballast all tools . take away debris?

what is underneath ? ground.

75 each for 1/2 a day ........ u should set post in first , return about 24 hrs later and pop panels in............or make sure the wind etc/ people dont move the posts...

£250 - £300 minimum why only 2 ??
    • It's a weird one, the panel is between the house and a conifer hedge so it only needs two posts and a one panel put in. There is a fence there but the wooden posts have rotted at the bottom and the panel has seen better days. I advised to put in concrete posts/gravel board to prevent this in the future.

£250-£300 seems a lot to me purely because I've never costed it before but when you break it down I can see how it all adds up.

Thanks for the quick reply

Robin Ainsworth said:
      1/2 a day Minimum...........fetching cement / ballast all tools . take away debris?what is underneath ? ground.

75 each for 1/2 a day ........ u should set post in first , return about 24 hrs later and pop panels in............or make sure the wind etc/ people dont move the posts...

£250 - £300 minimum why only 2 ??
  • sorry i miss -read 1 panel / 2 posts.................i was thinking 3 . not much in it though £200 maybe cash

get 10% trade of your stuff.
    • That's ok, I'll put in for around £200 then to cover any problems I might encouter in digging the holes etc

Robin Ainsworth said:
      sorry i miss -read 1 panel / 2 posts.................i was thinking 3 . not much in it though £200 maybe cashget 10% trade of your stuff.
  • Forget that! I always use postfix - ready mixed fence post concrete product. Cost it into the job at £5p/post.
    Whack the post up, 5-10mins later carry on - superb for efficiency

Robin Ainsworth said:
    u should set post in first , return about 24 hrs later and pop panels in............or make sure the wind etc/ people dont move the posts...
    • Thanks Andy, that sounds like an easier way to do it, save me making a mess knocking the concrete up

Andy Thorne said:
      Forget that! I always use postfix - ready mixed fence post concrete product. Cost it into the job at £5p/post. Whack the post up, 5-10mins later carry on - superb for efficiency
      Robin Ainsworth said:
      u should set post in first , return about 24 hrs later and pop panels in............or make sure the wind etc/ people dont move the posts...
    • Thanks Andy, that sounds like an easier way to do it, save me making a mess knocking the concrete up

Andy Thorne said:
      Forget that! I always use postfix - ready mixed fence post concrete product. Cost it into the job at £5p/post. Whack the post up, 5-10mins later carry on - superb for efficiency
      Robin Ainsworth said:
  • If you have a wickes near you they do 2 great tools to speed it up:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Builders-Fencing-Spade/invt/190344 This is great for cutting roots and getting throught the ground.

and of course fencing spoons. They will help get a post hole dug in about 10 mins, I rekon if you put your back into it you could get it all done in 2 hours including waiting for the postcrete. but put in a half day labour quote just in case.
  • Thanks for that Kieran, ive got a Wickes around the corner. Any tool which speeds up digging gets a thumbs up as i absolutely hate digging holes!

Kieran Ray said:
    If you have a wickes near you they do 2 great tools to speed it up:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Builders-Fencing-Spade/invt/190344 This is great for cutting roots and getting throught the ground.

and of course fencing spoons. They will help get a post hole dug in about 10 mins, I rekon if you put your back into it you could get it all done in 2 hours including waiting for the postcrete. but put in a half day labour quote just in case.
  • post -mix is crap.

i never trust it.

old or weak mix . - not for me thanks..........

Andy Thorne said:
    Forget that! I always use postfix - ready mixed fence post concrete product. Cost it into the job at £5p/post.
    Whack the post up, 5-10mins later carry on - superb for efficiency

Robin Ainsworth said:
This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…