I think we should have a national competition open to all, where the top three winners 

get their garden designed by LJN.  - Designed but not landscaped

The design could be open to any member of LJN, so the number of possible designs for each of

the three gardens could be limitless. it would then be up to the winners to choose their

preferred garden design, and take it from there. It would be their choice and would be kept

secret, the ethos of LJN is one of helping each other, and not one of outdoing or winning.

All entered designs could be posted on a specific webpage.

What do you think ?

Views: 395

Reply to this topic

Replies to This Discussion

Yes but if you could use it as a platform to show off your work then it might be

worth it.  The national competition would require everyone who wanted their gardens

to be designed to check out LJN.  Perhaps a number could be placed on the top and bottom of 

each main page, and the sum of this number had to be given when each person signed up

for the competition - just to ensure they get a look at the site.

Some will probably pay for a design after the competition - who knows. 

Gaynor @ www.witchardgardens.com said:

While I agree with the idea of helping each is a good thing within our industry, it stops there. I certainly would not spend time designing a garden for free to anyone let alone a member of the public.

I am only playing with ideas, some designers just starting out might be glad of the publicity.

Or perhaps Phil could pay someone to do it.

In my experience, I have found that doing things for free do not bring rewards or any work. Perhaps that's not the same for other people, but I've had my fingers burnt by providing help which was dependent upon all my hard work, experience and study over the years, and won't ever do it again John.

I love my work - but not enough to just give it all away for nothing. Maybe others will have a different perspective, but as they say on Dragon's Den  'I'm out!'.

As a vehicle for promoting LJN to the public (i.e getting more of the public to visit the site and hopefully employ a member) i think the general idea is good. 

To promote LJN we would be better designing, building and entering a leading garden show under the name LJN, If we was to win then the work gained thereafter in various formats could be split between the members who participated and contributed to the costs of said show.

Be a minefield to sort out.

Option 2, take a trade stand at said garden shows 

Option ,3 carry on as we are time will dictate.

Maybe, who knows? John's idea has at least generated some thought and ideas

Maybe the public would just be attracted to the site for free stuff...not a great image to put forward especially as there have been so many discussions about not charging enough let alone to it for free.

I didn't think I would have to sell this idea to the designers on LjN.

What's that saying, You can lead a horse to water........ :)

Let's just say that three garden designers agree to do it, and three gardens

are picked out of the hat at the end of the national competition.

Before the competition starts these designers will have to have their work featured on a

competition page on LJN. It will be the same page that everyone, that is entering will

have to check out ( for the secret number or letter ?)

So thousands of potential clients that need a garden design will be viewing this work.

The finished garden design would also be added, and this competition page could be left up

on LJN for a year.

It could be an annual competition, and just like show gardens, a way of showing off your work.

I find this discussion extremely interesting, i do have an combined idea of how to solve this problem, the first step is to announce LJN is to enter a flower show E.G Chelsea, Tatton, Hampton, Find a sponsor for this to go ahead,  then the design for the flower show could be chosen by voting form members of the public, and as a reward for for voting on the design, a chance to win a new Ipod or sort of thing, i do agree however it would take a lot of planning, but this way we all win, designers are promoted through the flower show, LJN gets lost of attraction from general members of the public and sponsorship should be to hard givin that LJN has a large following of companies wanting to advertise on it, so how does that sound as a comprimising solution to this discussion ?

So out of interest, are there any garden designers on LJN that would be willing to

do this. ?   

John www.acegardenservices.co.uk said:

I didn't think I would have to sell this idea to the designers on LjN.

What's that saying, You can lead a horse to water........ :)

Let's just say that three garden designers agree to do it, and three gardens

are picked out of the hat at the end of the national competition.

Before the competition starts these designers will have to have their work featured on a

competition page on LJN. It will be the same page that everyone, that is entering will

have to check out ( for the secret number or letter ?)

So thousands of potential clients that need a garden design will be viewing this work.

The finished garden design would also be added, and this competition page could be left up

on LJN for a year.

It could be an annual competition, and just like show gardens, a way of showing off your work.

Not for free sorry, unless you really need the publicity so much that you spend a week of two designing a garden with the high possibilty of no paid work from it, i dont know how any company could afford to do it ?

I think this is a good idea, for publicity, the time spent designing a garden would be worth it. However, i think it might be better to pick a random, 'greenscape' ie a fictional area with various features, ie ; sloping garden, clay soil, add a few large decidious trees etc, adjoining buildings casting shade etc... and then see what the designers on here can come up with. That way, the work and time spent by people would not be able to be utilised for free. this would be a purely design project within the community. A  'concept' garden. I think it would also be helpfull, or maybe mandatory to explain what steps, measurements of sub-bases, laying mixtures, necessary drainage etc...

A deadline would be good so that we are able to work as individuals and all designs come in at the same time. the question then is....who would judge it?  Since a lot of customers have no real idea of what goes on underneath the finished project it would not really be useful for them to judge, unless you divided the competition into two parts - customer judged and industry judged.

I also think this would be quite helpful towards promoting the green tick- something i am very interested in promoting since it would leave out the supply industry 'validation / accreditation awards who are more concerned with validating industries who use their products as opposed to skill and competency.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Landscape Juice sponsored by

LJN Sponsors

© 2014   Landscape Juice ® Limited - Registered in England 08356644

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service