The puppies are digging up the grass in their outdoor compound, in fact I think they're digging for buried treasure, the holes are so big their heads disappear down them.

So ... I thought I'd put some slabs down in the favoured spot. I might need to reposition the compound in months to come so the slabs do not need to be permanent.

What are my options for a preparing the ground under the slabs - sand, liner, both? Can you please come to my aid, as I'm a struggling gardener and definitely not possessing of any landscaping know-how?

Many thanks in advance. Rhianne

Views: 270

Reply to this topic

Replies to This Discussion

If you are wanting a temporary solution it will depend on the firmness of the ground what preparation you may need. If the ground is level enough and firm then the slabs can be placed on the surface of the ground. If the ground is boggy or uneven some digging out and compaction may be necessary. Obviously their tunnels will need to be filled in and compacted down before the slabs are laid.

You could put a geotextile membrane down but this is only essential if you are bothered about weed growth through the slabs. If you are not mortaring the slabs I assume you will butt them up to each other anyway.

Feel free to post a photo and we should be able to offer more specific advice. For the best solution mark out the area to be slabbed and then dig down about 5cm and compact some sharp sand to form a "bed" for the slabs, and then butt the slabs up to each other. A membrane under the sand will stop anything coming through, but make sure you double over the edges by at least 10cm to avoid anything coming through any gaps.

Let us know how you get on
Lara Warner said:
If you are wanting a temporary solution it will depend on the firmness of the ground what preparation you may need. If the ground is level enough and firm then the slabs can be placed on the surface of the ground. If the ground is boggy or uneven some digging out and compaction may be necessary. Obviously their tunnels will need to be filled in and compacted down before the slabs are laid.

You could put a geotextile membrane down but this is only essential if you are bothered about weed growth through the slabs. If you are not mortaring the slabs I assume you will butt them up to each other anyway.

Feel free to post a photo and we should be able to offer more specific advice. For the best solution mark out the area to be slabbed and then dig down about 5cm and compact some sharp sand to form a "bed" for the slabs, and then butt the slabs up to each other. A membrane under the sand will stop anything coming through, but make sure you double over the edges by at least 10cm to avoid anything coming through any gaps.

Let us know how you get on

Thanks so much Lara. I shall begin to tackle this in the next week weather permitting, and will post results. What exactly did you mean by 'double over the edges by at least 10cm'? Do you mean the outside edge of the membrane needs to be larger than the area to be covered, by 10cms all round?
When you lay the membrane it will normally be 1m wide. If you lay each strip 10cm over the last one where the edges are you should avoid anything growing through it where it joins. You will only need to place the membrane under the area to be paved. Good luck!
Dear Rhianne. I would be careful with placing the slabs on the surface of the ground. If paved surface is only temporary, you could create a thiner base but you still need a base that is not going to be damage by frost and moisture.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LJN Sponsors

Advertisers

UK waste transfer stations

© 2014   Landscape Juice ® Limited - Registered in England 08356644

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service