I'm in a bit of a fix at the moment as I'm wanting to take on my first employee but have no idea of how to go about setting up all the bits & bobs to make sure I'm fulfilling all the legal requirements. I'm going to make an appointment with the C.A.B. in Halifax to see what advice and help they can give me. Can anyone here offer me any good advice on who to contact or on the aspects of the setting myself up as an employer. I'm imagining that my employee will be part-time and on a seasonal basis. What advice do you have for setting up a temporary contract? What are my rights and my responsibilities as an employer?

Sorry to be so vague but this is just a general question to test the waters so-to-speak. Many thanks...

Views: 42

Reply to this topic

Replies to This Discussion

The inland revenue will send you reams of stuff on this if you ask them....
And another thought - is there a "Business link" office in your area? They'll offer free advice on all sorts of stuff, this included I would imagine (I've never used our local office, but keep getting mail shots from them offerring advice on pretty much every business related matter you can think of.)
My best Advice would be to take out employee insurance before starting any employee’s
You can work without public insurance, if you like taking the risk, but you are legally bound to have employee insurance before starting any employees
Contracts of employment: introduction web link;
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/EmploymentContract...
Hi Nick,

Yes, I'm on the mailing list for Business Link West Yorkshire but I've not pursued them as a line of enquiry. I'll give them a try and report back to evryone how things go.

Nick Steele said:
And another thought - is there a "Business link" office in your area? They'll offer free advice on all sorts of stuff, this included I would imagine (I've never used our local office, but keep getting mail shots from them offerring advice on pretty much every business related matter you can think of.)
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the link - that's been really useful. I'm now feeling a bit more confident that I know the right questions to ask and I should be able to get up and running without too much disruption.

Simon Smith said:
My best Advice would be to take out employee insurance before starting any employee’s
You can work without public insurance, if you like taking the risk, but you are legally bound to have employee insurance before starting any employees
Contracts of employment: introduction web link;
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/EmploymentContract...
Here are a some good resource sites that are worth using as a starting point.

Inland Revenue - New Employer - details on your responsibilities.

Business Link - Employing people - Information on taking on staff, holiday entitlements to how to lay off staff.
Andrew,

I recently had the same problem. I've started a gardening business and was looking to take people on as and when i need them. To be fully legal i was advised to contact the HM Revenue and customs which i did. I registered as an employer and they sent me out a started pack that I'm still reading through. It shows you how to pay your employee and their tax deductions etc. However I'm only looking at taking people on only as and when i need to. I contacted my accountant and taxation adviser and he said that all i need to do is keep a record of what and when I'm paying them and it's up to them to declare it to the tax man. Its a mine field but hopefully this will give you some idea.

Kind Regards

Kev T.
I don't think its quite as simple as that - there are quite specific rules governing whether somebody is an employee or self employed sub-contractor - if you treat them as self employed they have to quote for individual bits of work, send invoices, supply all their own tools etc. Its a minefield, so be careful!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Landscape Juice sponsored by

LJN Sponsors

© 2014   Landscape Juice ® Limited - Registered in England 08356644

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service